About Eoin Ó Conchúir
I hold a Ph.D. based on research into how companies optimise their approaches into developing sofware in a globally-distributed setting, completed at Lero — Ireland's software engineering research centre at the University of Limerick.
Stuff I've created online
This is a summary of projects I've created on my own time. For my career experience, please see LinkedIn.
- Bitesize Irish Gaelic makes it easier to learn the Irish language, in easy Bitesize portions. It has active members, a blog, podcast newsletter, and extra related products for learners. The business is run on a daily basis by excellent contractors and a part-time employee who are supported by mature standard operating procedures that I have developed.
- Markdown Mail is a Python-based program to prepare HTML and plain emails from content in Markdown syntax. Used to prepare emails for Bitesize Irish Gaelic tagged with Google Analytics tags.
- Founded IrishGaelicTranslator.com in 2002, based on phpBB software. It's a place to ask for Irish language translations. I sold this site in 2011 when it was receiving 400,000 pages views per month. The community members made the site what it was, not I. Unfortunately after the sale, many moved on due to what looked like disagreements with the different direction taken by the new site owners.
- Developed Irishionary.com, a collaborative Irish dictionary. My aim was to make dictionary content available for free usage (as the Irish government doesn't openly share the country's dictionary content out of copyright). The site had 5,000 headwords when I sold it along with IrishGaelictranslator.com.
- Developed Irish-Sayings.com in 2002 onwards, also selling it on in 2011. It was a paid membership site with Irish language audio recordings in multiple dialects (a pre-cursor to Bitesize Irish Gaelic). Its audio was played over 10,000,000 times.
- Co-founded Gaeil Luimní, a Limerick get-together group for Irish speakers.